Friday, February 12, 2010

Family Friday





The family Friday topic this week I how you met your significant other. I LOVE telling the story of how I met my husband because I think that it is very telling of our future relatioship.

It was right after my junior year in college. I was working for the housing department over the summer which meant that I go to stay in one of the dorms. (At the time this was a bi perk because the alternative was staying at my parents house where my drinking and partying would have been secerly curtailed.)

I was staying in the morewood gardens dorm. I picked up my key and found my room. It is importan to note tha all the unoccupied rooms are left open and are only locked once someone is living there. So anyway, I dumped a bunch of stuff in there, took a quick look around, and headed our since I had a meeting in just a few minutes.

This was when I realized the I didn't know how to lock the door. I know what younare thinking, you're nearly a senior at one of the nations top technical colleges and you can't lock the door?? Isn't this a skill you should have aquired by now?? I could tell you that CMU employs some sort of super fancy robotic lock or something, but fact was I just couldn't get my key out of the lock.

I started to panic a little. I couldn't leave my stuff here, but I couldn't miss the first meeting of my new job. It was time to find some help.

I took a quick walk down the hall and saw someones feet propped up on a table. I poked my head in to find a young man eating ramen noodles. The following conversation ensued:

Me: uh..hey. Can you help me a little?

Him: ok

Me: (as we are walking down the hall) I got my key stuck onthe door. I can't believe that incant get it ou I mean how inept must I be. You'd think I would have figured this sort of thing out my now you know? (we have reached the room) Look at how big that room here is. My room is like a fraction of the size of that room blah blah blah blah blah.

Him: (Turns the keynsideways and pulls it out.) Here.

Me: (turning red) oh wow... I can't believe that j didn't figure that out blah blah blah blah

Him: (walking back to him room). See ya.

I went about my day and didn't really see him for a week or so.

Friday rolled around and I thought that I would enjoy an adult beverage. Sadly I couldn't find my bottle opener. So I went for a little walk. There were those feet again.

Me: hey...do you have a bottle opener (I held ip my beer not even thinking that of may have been nice to bring one for the guy who saved my ass only a few days before.)

Him: here

This is when I realized what he was doing with his feet up on that table. He was watching tv. He had his own television - with cable - right there in his room. There was one other tv in the whole dorm. It was in the common room and there was nearly always someone watching star trek on it.

Long story short, to avoid the indignity of watching in the common room, I watched tv in my future husbands room.

I thought he found me annoying. I even came by one time when there was another girl watching his tv (little hussy). I tried to stay away, but he was right down the hall .... With cable.

We started xyphering while I was working late (xypher was an early CMU version on IM). Eventually I realized that I sorta liked him.

The reat is history. We dated all through our senior year, lived together for a year while he finished his masters degree and then got married.

Fast forward 12 years and here we are! Who would have thunk it?




- Posted by Krista from my iPhone

6 comments:

  1. Love it! He won you over with his cable and his bottle opener!

    That's a great story!!!!! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Thanks for sharing your story for "Family Fridays" I love reading how people fell in love.. Happy Valentine's day.. Thanks again for playing along..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I love hearing "how we met" stories. It was obviously your mutual destiny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story! I'm with Kelly, this is one of many "how we met" stories I've read today, and I NEVER grow tired of them. You've told this one so well, I really enjoyed it!

    Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on MY story, and have a Happy, Happy Valentine's Day! (Maybe you should watch a little cable TV to celebrate!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Television and a bottle opener are two very important commodities in college. It sounds like he knew what he was doing! Happy Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. aaww...this is a sweet story! I love hearing about how people who are now married met.

    (I tried to answer your question about baby's age, but you have NO-REPLY, so I'm answering it here: she's 4 months old.)

    ReplyDelete