Saturday, November 21, 2009

It's hip to be square

I am not cool. Never have been, likely never will be.

I went to my first Bat Mitzvah when I was 12. It was a very nice little affair where there was, horror of horrors, dancing. I had never heard the song "Shout" before and had no idea when to jump and well, shout. (I should mention that I am also lacking in rhythm.)

Back in high school when all my girlfriends were swooning over the New Kids On The Block I couldn't tell Joey from Jordan.

Even amongst the tragically unhip I am an outcast. In college when Star Trek: Voyager premiered I was completely uninterested in attending one of the many, many viewing parties hosted by various groups on campus. I was always more of a Next Generation kind of girl.

It should come as no real surprise that I am just now hearing about this Twilight thing. And, even less surprising, I totally don't get it. Maybe I should actually read the book or see the movie. Though that didn't help for Titanic.

1 comment:

  1. I am unhip, too! I never saw any Star Wars - had no interest. But several years ago I watched all 6 of them with my family and enjoyed them! Same with Lord of the Rings. I HAVE read and seen all the Harry Potter - mainly because I read them aloud to my kids - but I also really enjoyed the books. I have not read Twilight, which my daughter insists is better than the movie. I did see the first movie and was ho-hum about it. I cannot see the attraction. Now, give me James MaCovoy in "Becoming Jane" and I swoon every time!

    ReplyDelete