Monday, November 23, 2009

Christmas creep

I'm not a Scrooge, I like Christmas as much as the next girl. I mean I'm not a crazy Christmas person, but I don't dislike the holiday season. What does drive me a little crazy is the (not so) slow advancemt of the start of the season.

Back in my youth, only slightly after the origination of the holiday itself, it was considered gauche to put up any sort of Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving. I still remember the year that a new family on our street put up their Christmas lights the week before turkey day. The entire neighborhood was aghast.

Around the time we all started wishing each other happy holidays, the department stores began to cautiously display wreaths and red and green themed decor items a week before Thanksgiving. You may have even see the occasional blue and silver Chanukah swag laying about.

This year, things have gone too far! Too far I tell you! It all started the day BEFORE HALLOWEEN when I caught several Target employees swapping out costumes and polyester spiderwebs for fake christmas trees and light-up lawn reindeer. I was a little rattled by all this, but managed to convince myself that the entire upper management at Target was suffering from collective dementia and had forgotten about the entire month of November. With the economy what it is, they are probably under a lot of stress.


Sunday night TBS aired "How The Grinch Stole Christmas". I mean come on people....Show a little restraint.

ABC Family Channel is currently in the midst of their "Countdown to the 25 Days of Christmas". What is that? The holiday equivalent of the warm-up for the pre-game show?

The I saw HIM. The big guy himself, Santa, at the mall.

It's official, it's a world gone mad! I suppose I should just cave in and hang up the Christmas lights...and I would, if I didn't think that they would call undesired attention to the rotting jack-o-lantern left over from Halloween.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you! I've already written a post about my favorite Christmas movies, but will not post it until thanksgiving! I refuse! Stay strong- and don't give in to all the pressure!

    ReplyDelete