Now, truth is, I'll probably never learn to weld, make my own shotgun shells or fashion working generator out of discarded bicycle parts, but it seems only prudent to pick up a few worthwhile skills.
It was time to take stock. I made a list of the practical real world skills that I currently posses:
- Knitting - should survivors need socks and be willing to wait a few years.
- Canning - I could probably put up enough food to last for the winter...though I can't necessarily promise that some survivors won't succumb to botulism.
- Soap making - ok...I don't really know how to do this, but I read a book once.
- Childbirth - ok, so I'm sort of pushing it at this point, but there will be the need to repopulate and I have some past experience is this field.
So, clearly there are some holes in my apocalyptic planning so I've made a list of skills to acquire.
- Sewing - just because zombies are roaming the streets doesn't mean that the survivor shouldn't sport the latest in brain smashing fashion.
- Gardening - an apple a day keeps the brain eating undead away.
- Chicken keeping - Gotta have protein!
I'll keep you updated on my progress. In the meantime, here are some pertinent links to help you too be ready for the zombie apocalypse:
CDC - Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse
The Undead Report
Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse